Defection of Members
The Disciplinary Committee of the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) has written to 13 members of the party who have publicly declared their defection to another political party to show-cause why they should not be deregistered from the party.
The members are as follows;
1. H.E. Ukur Yatani – Governor, Marsabit
2. H.E. Salim Mvurya – Governor, Kwale
3. Hon. Zainabu Chidzuga – MP, Kwale County
4. H.E. Joash Maangi – Dep. Governor Kisii County
5. Hon. Steven Kariuki – MP, Mathare
6. Hon. Mpuru Aburi – MP, Tigania East
7. Hon. Gideon Mung’aro – MP, Kilifi North
8. Hon. Mustafa Iddi – MP, Kilifi South
9. Hon. Cyprian Kubai -MP, Igembe Central
10. Hon. Isaac Mwaura – Nominated MP
11. Hon. James Rege – MP, Karachuonyo
12. Hon. Samuel Arama – MP, Nakuru Town West
13. Hon. Rtd. Maj. John Waluke – MP, Sirisia
In letters written to each of the 13 members of the party, Chairman of the Disciplinary Committee Mr. Fred Athuok cited section 14(5) C of the Political Parties Act as having been violated by their action.
The letters have been sent to individual members via registered post and are expected to respond in writing within seven (7) days failure to which, the Committee shall recommend to the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC) that such members be expelled from the party for violating the Law and the Constitution of the party.
In effecting the expulsion, necessary steps will be taken with the respective County, Parliamentary/Senate Speakers and the IEBC to declare the seats vacant and necessitate by-elections.