PRESS RELEASE: EXPULSION OF TEN MEMBERS FROM THE PARTY
A special sitting of the National Governing Council (NGC) of the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) has today upheld its decision of the 31st of October to expel from the party ten members who have since quit the party to join other political outfits. The Special Session was convened under Article 7.4.2 as read together with Article 8.4.5 of the Party Constitution and the relevant national legislation.
In making the decision, the NGC considered the appellants’ case through their Lawyer Mr. Kioko Kilukumi and recalled its earlier decision of the 31st October 2016 at Bomas of Kenya.
During the meeting, the delegates went through the appeal by the affected members and conclude that the appellants had not raised any cogent reasons and or sufficient grounds to warrant the NGC to vacate its earlier decision hence upholding it.
The party Executive Director Mr. Oduor Ong’wen presented the report of the Legal Affairs Committee of the Party chaired by the MP for Westlands Mr. Timothy Wanyonyi to the NGC on the decision to uphold its earlier resolve to expel the ten members from the party.
The expelled members are;
1. H. E. Salim Mvurya – Kwale County
2. Hon. Zainab Chidzuga – Kwale County
3. H. E. Joash Maangi – Kisii County
4. Hon. Stephen Kariuki – Mathare Constituency
5. Hon. Isaac Mwaura – Nominated MP
6. Hon. Samuel Arama – Nakuru Town West Constituency
7. Hon. Rtd. Major John Waluke – Sirisia Constituency
8. Hon. Ababu Namwamba – Budalangi Constituency
Hon. Masoud Mwahima – Likoni Constituency
9. Hon. Masoud Mwahima – Likoni Constituency
10. Hon. Samwel Nyangwara – MCA Viwandani Ward, Nairobi County
The decision to expel the ten was made unanimously in a special sitting of the NGC presided over by the Deputy Party Leader Mr. Wycliffe Oparanya and immediately communicated in writing to the Registrar of Political Parties Ms. Lucy Ndung’u for action.
Now, Ms. Ndung’u is expected to communicate in writing to the Speaker of the National Assembly as well as Speakers of the Counties where the affected Governor and Deputy Governor were elected to serve for further action.
Director of Communications
5th December 2016