In episodes resembling a movie in a banana republic, Business tycoon Jimmy Wanjigi and a great friend of late Jacob Juma has narrated how gunmen almost killed him yesterday at gunpoint. The Raila financier claimed gunmen armed to the teeth attacked his moving car and stole valuables including a laptop with top secrets.
“Masked men in military gear have bombarded my car and my security convoy at gunpoint at Parklands Drive, stolen my documents, my briefcase & a laptop. As if not enough they’ve taken all my LICENCED firearms wth no search warrant. This comes shortly after I vowed to Expose KIBICHO”,he said in a Tweet
Wanjigi was heading his Runda home when he was attacked.
The son of former Minister has been at logger heads with Uhuru Kenyatta and Jubilee administration especially after he vowed to support Raila Odinga until he became president. Last year, his Runda home was raided and destroyed completely. He later ironed the differences with the state but it appears to be all lost after this new revenge attack.
Controversial city blogger Cyprian Nyakundi is in custody after he was arrested by plain clothed officers moments after he stepped out of the Milimani Law Courts.
Nyakundi was reportedly waylaid by the Directorate of Criminal Investigation officers who arrested him as he left the courtroom where he had gone for the mention of a defamation case he is facing.
He had earlier in the day tweeted that he was being trailed by a supposed DCI officer over a post he made on his social media pages.
“This man is trailing me. He says he is a @DCI_Kenya officer that wants to arrest me for an online post. I had appeared at Milimani Law Courts for a matter. He is the same guy that disappeared with my iPhone last time,” tweeted Naykundi.
A source who spoke to the Nation claimed that the blogger was arrested over a post he made claiming that Jubilee administration officers were allegedly bribed by Chinese officials to approve a tender.
“We were instructed to arrest him. We brought him for interrogation on a post he made alleging that one of most senior-ranked officials was bribed by Chinese government to approve a tender.”
His latest stint in the cells follows his appearance at the Kiambu courts last month, where he was charged for posting derogatory remarks against Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, Kenya Power Managing Director Ken Tarus and Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru.
He was released on a Sh2.2 million bond.
The DCI has reportedly been hunting him down following other posts he made.
I unreservedly condemn the consistent harassment, arrest and illegal detention of @C_NyaKundiH a patriotic Kenyan whose only crime is to diligently expose details of malfeasance in public office while thieves who have carted billions of our money away walk free. #FreeNyakundi
Nyakundi has just confirmed that this man is the same person who stole his iPhone last time, he has now arrested him again today, Does he have something special to do with Nyakundi?? This kind of stupid deeds must stop, We are led by thugs#FreeNyakundipic.twitter.com/Su3VFKuMdm
After many years of employee grievances in which the owner regularly refused to pay his employees or withholding of tips in which workers were entitled to by law, Swahili village might have met its match through natural justice after all.
[Press Release] In the early morning hours of Monday, May 7, 2018, there was a fire outbreak in the Kitchen of Swahili Village Bar and Grill. The fire was put out shortly after and there were no injuries. Due to the damage to the interior of the restaurant, Swahili Village bar and grill located at 10800 Rhode Island Avenue, Beltsville, Maryland will be closed until further notice.
Swahili Village Bar and Grill Owner/CEO Kevin Onyona stated that “We hope to be up and running in the next two to three months. This is due to some substantial damages that will need to be repaired. Please continue to check on our social media pages for updates and news regarding the re-opening”.
Swahili Village has been providing a much-needed fine dining experience of Kenyan cuisine in Beltsville. Beltsville, Maryland is a hub of major industry pioneers and government agencies like NASA, U.S. Department of Agriculture among others. Swahili Village’s clientele has grown to include a broad spectrum of ethnic cuisine enthusiasts from the African diplomatic missions, African diaspora and the general public with bookings for birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and graduations celebrated in the mahogany wood finished interior with an elegant ambiance. This year Swahili Village is celebrating its nine-year anniversary since its inception in 2009. The new Swahili Village location, now in its second year, has been highly rated and positively reviewed on Yelp, Foursquare, Yellow Pages and a multitude of foodie sites.
The Swahili Village team is looking forward to once again serving our customers and offering you the True Taste of Kenya that you as our loyal clients have grown to love. We appreciate the prompt response by the Prince Georges county emergency team which includes the Prince Georges County Police Department and the Beltsville Fire Department. A huge thank you goes to our well wishers for your support as we work towards reopening.
It started many years ago in the old location one employee who quit years ago complained bitterly in Silver Spring after exposing a culture of failure to pay employees or withholding their tips by Kevin Onyona. Without reviewing all the facts, the truth might never be known after all. There has also been a culture of double billing too in which customers have been billed twice for the same meals. Other problems include sky rocketing the price of basic meals which also affected his home base. Keeping the restaurant open 7 days a week without proper breaks for employees and genuine clean up of the facility.
Next time Swahili Village opens up as a restaurant, the management of the facility must understand that, this is America and there are basic rules of engagement one must follow to succeed properly. If this was an inside job, we condemn it in the strongest terms possible. There are better ways to file grievance and get readdress without sabotaging the entire facility through a fire.
This is so sad and we are sure there’s more to this story.
The French company that supplied information technology equipment for the August 8, 2017, General Election has sued Raila Odinga and the three other NASA co-principals for defamation.
The defendants include Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka, ANC’s Musalia Mudavadi, Ford Kenya’s Moses Wetang’ula. Also sued are Suna East MP Junet Mohamed, ODM communications director Philip Etale, the Nation Media Group and Radio Africa Group.
Idemia Identity and Security France, formerly known as Safran Morpho, provided electronic systems that identified Kenyan voters and transmitted election results.
The case was filed in the Nairobi High Court on April 17 by CM Advocates LLP.
The firm wants the politicians and the two media houses permanently blocked from making remarks or publishing defamatory articles against them.
The presidential results of the August 8 election were nullified by the Supreme Court over what it called irregularities and illegalities. A presidential rerun was held on October 26. Raila did not contest.
President Uhuru Kenyatta and his running mate William Ruto of the Jubilee Party were declared winners in the first and second rounds.
The French company says that during and after the election politicians made statements insinuating that it had engaged in irregularities. These statements which were repeated in the media, resulting in damage to its reputation, the company says.
As remedy, the company wants the court to issue an order compelling the media houses and the four politicians to pull down all articles already published on different social media platforms, such as Twitter, Facebook and online relating to the company and the conduct of the general election.
In a sworn affidavit, Yves Charvin, an in-house lawyer for the company, says that the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission contracted the company to provide the necessary technology to power the Kenya Integrated Elections Management System (KIEMS).
Charvin says the company provided the IEBC with about 45,000 secure biometric tablets for verification of the voters list before the election.
“The plaintiff states that it diligently executed the contract to the expectation of the IEBC and the contract terms,” Charvin says in the affidavit.
It is alleged that on various dates after the declaration of the August 2017 presidential election results by IEBC, the politicians and media houses deliberately published defamatory articles against the company on several media, despite having known the information and or publications were false.
The company in its suit papers says that articles in question purport that it helped rig the 2017 election, hence, tarnishing its reputation.
It says the articles in question portrayed the company as corrupt and unethical.
“The sensational manner in which the publication of the articles were headed was clearly intended to cause irreparable damage to the plaintiffs by ensuring that the whole world learns of the alleged unethical conduct in the most damaging way possible,” the suit papers read.
Idemia says both the politicians and the media houses never bothered to verify the facts, despite knowing the claims they were making were false.
For example, it says, Mudavadi wrote a letter to the French government on September 7, 2017, accusing the company of engaging in unethical acts that may amount to criminal activities under the Elections Act, the court was told.
In his letter, Mudavadi is said to have asked the French government to commence investigations against the company and its employee Laurent Lambert.
According to the French company, the utterances complained of have an effect of denying them opportunity to be contracted for similar security and identity solutions, not only in Kenya but elsewhere in the world.
“By the reason of the defendants’ defamatory statements, the plaintiff’s reputation has been lowered in the estimation of right thinking members of the public,” the company says.
The technology company rebranded itself last year from the OT-Morpho Group and it supplied the Sh3.8 billion KIEMS devices for the August 2017 General Election and the repeat presidential election
The brand change comes just half a year after Oberthur Technologies merged with Safran Identity & Security to form OT-Morpho.
The company provided electronic systems for voter identification and results transmissions.
It supplied the 45,000 tablets that were used to identify voters biometrically, while the results transmission system (RTS) was used to transmit the results of votes counted by electoral officials, as well as a photograph of the paper forms 34A and 34B on which votes were tallied.
The move by the IEBC to re-engage the French firm sparked protests from the opposition alliance NASA.
The four-party alliance urged the French government to investigate Paris-based OT-Morpho and its relations with electoral officials whom, it alleged, may have “acted in complicity and connived to undermine the will of the people of Kenya”.
Charvin denied the allegations in his affidavit, saying that rigging of an election is a serious and emotive issue and saying if the courts will not intervene to stop the eight respondents, the company will suffer “irreparable loss”.
The case is set for hearing on May 30 at Milimani law courts.